Countdown to Xmas #10

Bloggified by Jake on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I have a lot of struggles with Christmas. I think my biggest beef is that it's so blown out of proportion that it can't possibly live up to it's own hype nor our expectations. If we could all just tone it the fuck down, the holiday season (and I say "holiday season" because I'm talking about the whole month and a half from Thanksgiving through the Monday after New Year's when kids go back to school, not because I've declared War on Christmas, Fox News viewers) is awesome on a level that we simply can't maintain for the other 10 1/2 months of the year.

A case of how Christmas shoots itself in the foot is the dozens of Christmas albums that come out every year from artists looking to make a quick buck, but without anything of substance to contribute. As such, I hate about 99.8% of the Christmas music that's out there, but, as I've said above, the other 0.2% is the kind of soul-grabbing music that can flood your brain with memories, make you cry, or force a smile even when you're looking at your credit card statement.

With ten days until Christmas, I've decided to share my ten favorite Christmas songs. Yes, I could have started on Sunday and done the 12 Days of Christmas Countdown, but that seemed a little cheesy to me.

Speaking of the 12 Days of Christmas, that's as good a place to start the countdown as any. When I was five or six years old, I'd negotiate whatever I had to if only my parents would let me stay up and watch SCTV on the weekends. My favorite characters--just ahead of Count Floyd--were the McKenzie Brothers. It wasn't until years later that I heard this song on The Doctor Demento Show when I was in fourth grade.

0 sarcastic replies:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)